Sunday, March 17, 2013

Peace of mind

I have been living in Arlington, very close to Mass Ave for the past 17 years.

I love East Arlington because my three children and I can walk and bike everywhere to meet our basic needs of school, high quality dining experiences, entertainment and social life.

What is missing is the peace of mind that our highly urban street life experience is safe and enjoyable.

One of my biggest fears for the past 17 years has been crossing Mass Ave with my children or now that my children are grown, them crossing it on their own. 

The design of the street, that pays little attention to pedestrians, cyclists or traffic calming, enables drivers to high speed down Mass Ave en route to their next destination.

I grew up in Keene NH in the 70s and its wide four lane Main Street had the same result leaving the downtown area a drive through street rather than a destination.  In the 80s Keene totally revamped its downtown, created traffic calming, wider sidewalks and an urban area that became a destination.

The result? Keene NH is no on the map as one of the most charming small towns in America. The downtown area is a vital center for business as well as locals and visitors who simply love to walk its charming Main Street.

Main Street America, in all its Norman Rockwell charm is what our Arlington and our culture need more than ever. A place where we are safe, is beautiful and we feel very much at home

Lauren Hefferon
Marathon Street